


CLICK HERE FOR MORE PICTURES
What a crazy day we've had! For those that didn't get the actual run-down of events, as they transpired:
At 4am this morning, Melanie's water broke. She frantically woke me up, and I immediately thought one of our kids was doing something terrible. She told me that the baby was coming and we both started freaking out. Melanie had a few things packed, but we hadn't packed up anything for the kids. I grabbed a duffelbag and threw kids clothes together while Melanie took a shower. I called our friends, the Van Camp's, who were gracious and very much excited and offered to take care of the kids for the day.
Melanie updated the blog, and we left. Grant seemed a bit apprehensive to go to the "Party House" as we called it, I think he knew something was up, but when Emily offered him a drink of water, he seemed to perk up and let us leave without whining.
When we left the Van Camp's we were stuck behind the absolute slowest driver in the world. He was seriously going 15 mph, and I couldn't get around him. We didn't understand why anyone would be going that slow at 4:30 in the morning.
The first thing we realized when we got to the hospital was that Grant and Blake's shoes were still sitting in the car. We called up Emily who thankfully had other kids shoes in their sizes. We called up Laura Lee who said something to the effect of "What!?!? You mean I'm not going to see the baby until he's one month old?" When we called Dan, his caller ID said KENT WELSH, and he almost had a heart attack figuring the only reason why Kent would call him this early in the morning was if something tragic happened.
While Melanie labored, I ran around getting things for her, calling people, and trying to run little errands to make things easier. At about 11AM, nothing was happening. I decided to get some lunch at the cafeteria, and bring it back to eat in the room. When I came back, Melanie was already dilated to an 8, meaning she was about an hour away.
Hayden Jackson Hobbs was born at 12:47 PM. He weighs 7 lb 11 oz which was the same weight as Grant and Blake were at full-term. Hayden is 20 inches long. Mom is doing fine and will be released from the hospital on Friday. Hayden had some trouble breathing because of some fluid in his lungs and is being observed in the NICU this evening. This isn't anything to worry about and is actually typical for white caucasian males (WiMPs as the nurse put it -- White Male Pre-Mis). He has a CPAP machine which helps persistently push air into his lungs at a rate that he can handle. He is also on an IV for feeding. The doctors say that if he continues to improve tonight he may be released on Saturday, otherwise, it might not be until early-to-mid next week at the latest.
The ward out here is taking care of us. We had our friend come to the hospital to assist in a blessing for Hayden this evening. The Bishop and some other close friends have already stopped by. A Sister in the ward offered to baby-sit this evening so I can go to the hospital, and another is lined-up on tomorrow.
Yay baby Hayden!!! I'm so glad to see pictures! I've been waiting for them all evening. He's so cute. I think he looks a lot like Grant. Happy birthday Hayden!
ReplyDeleteHayden is our Christmas Miracle! We just kept thinking it was totally OTHER things! haha We can't wait to see him in January! I can't wait to get more pics too!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! What a big boy for coming almost a month early and so cute (if he "baked" any longer he might have been as big as Pete at birth)! Early Christmas- yeah!
ReplyDeleteThe CPAP machine is truly a Hobbs item. It seems we all have 1 now. We're praying he will be ok and we LOVE him. Good job Melanie. What a Christmas surprise.
ReplyDeleteYeah for baby Hayden. I'm so excited for you guys. Congratulations. I loved all the pictures. Like Erica, I was waiting all night for them. Thanks for posting Travis. Hayden is a real cutie. He looks like your other boys.
ReplyDeleteUpdate:
ReplyDeleteBaby Hayden is still having a hard time breathing. They tried to downgrade him to a nasal canula (does the same thing as CPAP, but makes him do more work) and things didn't go well. He's back on the CPAP and X-ray still shows fluid in lungs.
Dr. says it's an infection, probably pneumonia and his breathing will improve once the infection clears up more. I will be discharged tomorrow and Hayden will be staying here. He's still not feeding or maintaining his own temp. When he can breath on his own, feed, maintain his own temp and oxygen levels, etc he can come home. It's anyone's guess as to how long that will be. A few days minimum.
I have been pumping and will store the milk here for whenever he starts to feed. I guess I'll go home tomorrow without him and try to rest/pump and visit as much as possible.
He was alert when we visited him and loves to grab at everything. He also likes his pacifier and is under a bili light since he's a bit jaundiced. Keep the prayers coming and we'll keep everyone posted.
Congrats! I am so excited for you guys. We are praying for you all and baby Hayden! Since Hayden is already here it makes me realize just how soon it will be for Krista and I! Me sooner than Krista! Anyway he is just adorable!
ReplyDeleteWe're so glad he's here! Hopefully he can come home soon! Congratulations, guys...he is adorable.
ReplyDelete