3.31.2008

Food Storage

Here's me dry-pack canning for the first time in Feb '06!


So, this was the topic for the fifth Sunday lesson yesterday in our ward. I didn't attend the meeting because I was with the young women, but it started a conversation on Denise's blog and I had so much to say, I thought I needed my own post on the subject. So here's my opinions on food storage:

First of all, I think people get Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage confused. Food storage is a year's supply of food to sustain your family in a time of need. I think of these times as a loss of a job or other big financial stress. In these situations, you could live off your food storage until things straighten out without having to rely on the credit cards, your family, or the church to feed your family. Emergency Preparedness is preparing a 72 hour kit with mostly ready-made and easy to prepare foods to sustain you and your family in case of some sort of natural disaster when you would be without power or access to any outside source for food for a short amount of time. For example: I would put wheat in my food storage, so I could grind it and turn it into a variety of foods for my family to eat for an extended amount of time. I would NOT keep a year's supply of freeze dried foods, gross! But I would keep three days of freeze-dried or no prep meals to keep my family alive in an emergency when I wouldn't have power or a place to cook. Food Storage and Emergency Preparedness are linked because they both involve self-sufficiency, but it makes me crazy when people say "oh I've got my food storage, I got a bunch of MRE's" or "how are you going to turn that wheat into something when you have no power". Duh!!

So here's my story of Food Storage. I started in 2005 when I set aside $10/week to buy something at the grocery store for food storage. I went to the church website and printed out their recommendations for a year's supply for a family of four. My cupboards were full of foods that my family would eat, I figured a three month supply of canned veggies, a few beans, soup, etc. So I started on the other foods I knew my family ate: rice, pasta, flour and sugar. When I had a big stack in the basement, I got the canner from the cannery and put it all into #10 cans. Here's my rotation philosophy: I'll worry about it in ten years. Sugar keeps forever, flour, rice and pasta last 10-12 years. So why worry about it? Then someone always says: "but if you don't eat it now, your family won't eat it when you have to, they won't be used to it, etc, etc". My answer to that is: yes they will. Given no other options, they will be thankful that their Mom went to all this work and will eat what they have! No one's going to starve!

Within six months, I had nearly a year's supply of rice, sugar, flour, pasta and a few smaller things. Next I moved on to honey, yeast, oil, mayo, etc. Meanwhile, I watched for sales and also tried to stock up on pantry foods: spaghetti, veggies, things we eat all the time. I still think if I keep it well stocked, my pantry holds three months of food. Then I had to make my wheat decision. I thought wheat was for crazy people. The only way I could buy it was if I just said: "It last for 20 years, I'll figure it out another day!" So I bought wheat and the DeSistos gave us over 300 lbs of it when they moved. So now I've jumped in to the whole wheat thing and have been making bread for my family. We were spending $7 on bread every week and I had 300 lbs of free wheat in my basement! It's way easier than I thought. My Bosch makes a batch big enough to feed us for a week. I've also got a year's supply of oats and six months of beans.

So anyway, I'd say I have a years supply of the staples. Some people would argue that it's boring food, or that my kids will hate it, but I think it's a good place to start. The staples are what your family eats the most. When it comes down to it, if Travis lost his job next week, we would have enough basics to feed us for a long time. I would rather have 50 lbs of boring wheat that will make breakfast for three months instead of five boxes of sugar cereal that will last two weeks (same price). You can make your food storage money go a lot further with the "wheat and beans" method than the pantry of fun foods. On the same note, I do keep a lot of the foods my kids eat. Lots of peanut butter, honey and my wheat will feed Grant for two meals a day! And now that I've got the boring stuff down, I want to focus on canned fruit, veggies, etc. I'm still undecided on powdered milk. It does NOT keep for 10 years, so I know I'll need to use it if I buy it and it's very expensive. And for any jello lovers out there, Rite Aid brand jello is on sale 4/$1 this week. Stock up!! You could get a year's supply for $10!!

My food storage guru is Leann Hanson. She has a year's supply of everything! I've tried to follow her lead and stock up on ziplock bags, shampoo, and even paper towels when they are on sale. Another great tip came from Sarah W. She said taught me that food storage is like life insurance: you put money into it and if you have to throw it out after ten years and never use it, you'll never regret it. She taught me that you just develop your faith. Don't stress about how to use it, torture yourself with complex rotation schedules, etc. Just follow the Lord's commandment to keep a year's supply of food. Start small and before you know it, you'll be almost there. You'll never be done, and you'll find a way to use it when you need to.

And really, if there is a massive natural disaster and you have depleted your 72 hour kits, and you have to live off your food storage for an extended amount of time, a year's supply will never last anyway. You wouldn't keep it for yourself. You would share it with your neighbors who were in need. Maybe we are counseled to keep food storage to bless not only our families, but our communities in times of need. Same with Emergency Preparedness: in the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989, our neighbors knew they could come to our house for fresh water because my parents always kept their 72 hour supply of water. So anyway, there is my long rant about food storage. I hope we never have to use it, but I'm grateful that we've had the money to buy it.

P.S. If the wheat and beans method isn't for you, I have heard of people who come up with their family's ten favorite meals. Then they just stock the supplies to make each meal five times. I've never talked to anyone who's actually done this, but let me know how it works if you do!

6 comments:

  1. Yay for food storage! I don't have a ton of it yet, but I'm working on it! I also believe that even the most humble beginnings can create huge food storage! A lady in my mission saved out one spoonful of beans and rice every day when she was making lunch for her family - and she had by the time I knew her saved nearly a year's supply for her family of four! She may never need to crack open her supply, but she had it just in case. It was keeping the commandment that was most important to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:23 AM

    How nice to quote me!! HEHE

    My dad always says that what we store will probably not last a year but if you kept the commandment we will see miracles. We will have enough to feed our families and neighbors. I know the church is now PREcanning food and selling it. I bought a bunch the other day at our cannery. It was
    .38 cents MORE per can than doing it yourself. SO the Lord has solved our problem of being too busy. Everyone is getting a unexpected tax check back this year. He has now solved the problem of no money. Everyone should get enough refund to buy everyone in their family a year supply of the basics. Man I sound like my dad!! We have a LONG way to go but am trying. I would LOVE to hear some of Leanns tips! She is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome!! Jennifer and I have 18 months worth of beans, rice, sugar, and wheat. We have also stored 12 months of refried beans mashed potatoes, pasta, honey, and zip lock bags.(2 year shelf life on the beans and potatoes) We try to buy soups and other canned goods when they're on sale to help build our supply. Jennifer's visiting teacher had her give a lesson in enrichment on how we started and built our storage. Now we have to get started on the babies food storage. Thank you for the tip on setting aside a small amount of money every week, it's really paid off! Oh and thanks for the rite aid tip our jello is running low so that'll be a definite purchase this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Melanie.

    I am going to start now. I am glad for this post. I see myself revisiting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melanie, you're absolutely right about food storage and survival kits. Thanks for sharing your sensible and terrific ideas and words of wisdom.

    You're an awesome mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post. I totally agree that the two are separate issues, and I'm glad of the reminder, so now I can update our semi-complete 72 hour kit with baby things. When we had a pretty big earthquake last fall I felt like we really needed to have a get-away kit in the car with just a few essentials, and

    I've also been keeping my car full of gas. When it gets to 1/2 full/empty, I fill it up so that in an emergency I won't have to worry about it. I do this because when we lived in NY, we had a huge blackout that lasted for a couple of days. My husband was out of town and needed me to go get him since the trains weren't running, but with no power there were no gas stations open. I barely made it out of the no-power zone just as my car hit empty and was able to pick him up, but it was a close call, and he'd have been stranded otherwise.

    ReplyDelete