April 2, 2008 was declared by the UN to be World Autism Awareness Day. April is also Autism Awareness month. So what should we be aware of? For me, it's being aware of the signs of Autism. I'm still angry with Grant's (former) doctor, who told us on one occasion, that he wasn't speaking because he had a pacifier! I wish I had known what to look for. I wish I had gotten him help sooner.
Which brings me to another part of awareness: the search for the best care for our children with Autism. I'm so grateful to all of Grant's teachers for their dedication in bringing him this far. I appreciate their advice and their encouragement. Ms. Susie, who taught Grant his first sentence when he was three and a half: "Have you seen our Gingerbread Baby?" And sweet Ms. Teri who loved him and put up with the potty-training year. And a huge thank you to Ms. Stern who fights for him every day! This last year, Grant has started engaging other children, calling my attention to things, and even pretending. Today, he and Blake searched for red, yellow, and blue chameleons in the backyard.
Lastly, I'm just more aware of the struggles of living with Autism. I'm so glad Grant is doing so well and is capable of doing so much. I know that many families have really tough situations and will never hear their child's voice or even have multiple children with varying degrees of Autism. But it's still hard. I hate that we're still potty-training at 5 1/2. I hate fighting with Grant every morning. I hate worrying about the development of my subsequent children. I'm just glad to know that I'm not alone and there are tons of families with the same challenges.
Autism Awareness Month mostly reminds me that I'm a member of the Autism Club. The rest of the year, I can pretend that Grant's like other kids, but this month is all about how he really is different. It's about a disorder that hits one out of every hundred boys or is it eighty boys? It's about a disorder that changes a family, shades every stage of a child's development, and makes us different from most people that I know. It clouds our plans that we had for our first child, our sweet baby that we thought would be the most successful kid in the world. Autism throws uncertainty on every situation from how we'll get out the door in the morning to how he'll make it on his own. But it is what it is. Autism is our life and even with it, our life is pretty good. Thank you to all our friends and family who listen to us alternately brag and whine about Grant. Thanks for loving him just like we do and realizing he just needs the same love as every other kid. And Happy Autism Awareness Month.

Yes, Happy Autism Month. And I'm thankful that he got you both for parents. I have said it a million times to my friends and family that those wonderful children of yours could not have a better set of parents with infinite patience and unconditional love for their boys. You guys are the best and we love you all.
ReplyDeleteAnd you know what Melanie? He was sent to you for a reason. You must have an amazing amount of strength and dedication to have been chosen to be his mom.
ReplyDeleteMelanie, I have honestly say that I didn't realize you were struggling. You are such a great mom, happy and involved. I don't even notice Grants struggles. All I see is how, he now looks and talks with Garrett when they play. But I now understand you inner struggle and concern. Please let us know if you can do anything to help. We love you guys! And we are proud of all the great achievements Grant has made.
ReplyDeleteWe love you all too Melanie. Your writing really touched my heart. Thanks for sharing some intimate thoughts and feelings. It really makes me appreciate you and Travis and we admire you so much. There's is not a better mom in the world.
ReplyDeletePregnant, hormonal, and really tired women should not read certain posts. I can't stop bawling. I sure love Grant and I'm so impressed by every one of his great achievements. He's changed so much with all his therapies and because he has such great parents. I very strongly believe that the job Travis got in Manassas was because the Lord knew Grant was coming to your family - they certainly do NOT have such amazing programs here on the West Coast for autistic children. He is very fortunate, and so are we to have him in our family!
ReplyDeleteHappy Autism Awareness Month! Thanks for sharing this Melanie. And Grant is such a smarty pants--he'll be making all the money when our kids are older. Jared's going to need to come to him for a loan!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the post Melanie.
ReplyDeleteApparently, you don't have to be pregnant and hormonal to bawl over this one.
You're doing a great job...the proof is ALWAYS in the pudding...and Grant is a GREAT kid!
Happy Autism Month. I just love Grant so much! He doesn't even know me and I am sitting here crying like he was my own! I think he is so lucky to have you and Travis as his parents and to have so many people who love and care about him. I feel like I am going to loose it about 3 times a day with my boys and there is seemingly nothing wrong with them other than the fact that they are just spoiled! Such a stong woman you are! I love you Melanie! Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteEveryone else said what I was going to say. Grant is an awesome kid and is going to do great things!
ReplyDeleteThanks Melanie. Great post.
ReplyDeleteI love reading about Grant's accomplishments. Not only is he bright, capable, and adorable, but he's got two parents who CAN deal with the challenges of Autism. Kudos to you both, and Grant! And thanks for sharing your struggles--I think as parents we all have difficulties, and it's nice to know we're not alone.
ReplyDeleteWell said!
ReplyDeleteMy son is 6 yrs old and is ASD. We have shared many of your same struggles.
Did you know they are talking to one of Ted's nephews about aspergers right now and he is only 2! Yep, lots of diagnosises out there. On a worthy note, it is important to remember Grant (and other kids like him) are so special and so unique, and can aspire to be anything their hearts dream up. Just a note.
ReplyDeleteHi Melanie (and Travis), my heart goes out to both of you for all the trials and challenges you've endured so far.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm even more amazed and inspired by you than ever. What a dedicated, talented, and awesome mom you are!
We love you and all the good that you do for Grant and all your boys. Have a great month of April!
This was a wonderful post--although my allergies really kicked in while I was reading it! Thanks for sharing! Celestine and I used to take care of an autistic woman. She was obsessed with round objects, was an awesome artist, worked at a bookstore because she loved to organize books, and liked tall men. She knew the heights of all the NBA players and especially liked Shawn Bradley because he was so tall!
ReplyDelete