more on his legs and a few on his arms.
Travis and the nurse held his IV arm.
When Hayden woke from his nap today, boy he was fussy and hot! I took his temp while he bellowed and it was 106!! Of course I freaked out and tried another thermometer, which only read 103, I think the first one was broken. So anyway, I tried feeding him, holding him, doing anything to make him happy and he just fussed. So I called the doctor and got an appt. The only time I could get in was 2:50, so I had to pick up Grant because I wouldn't be home in time for the bus.
We get to the dr's and all hell breaks loose as Blake releases his fury upon Grant. Apparently, Blake is the only one that can activate automatic sliding doors. If he suspects anyone else in the vicinity has tripped the door, he throws a fit. Stupid automatic doors!! I saw it coming and tried to hold Grant back so Blake could open the door (I'm carrying Hayden because dr's offices are too small for strollers). No dice. Blake suspects Grant has tripped the door and melts into a gigantic screaming fit, refusing to go inside. Meanwhile, the old people of Manassas club has just let out and they are lining up to leave the health center, only to be confronted with a door-hog who is screaming while I threaten time outs and try to drag him inside while carrying a 20 lb baby who doesn't feel well. Old guy #1 says: "It's okay, I have three of my own...I've been there!" Old guy #2 sees my desperation and hands his coffee cup to his wife. He then picks up forty pounds of screaming and writhing Blake and carries him through the doors for me. I apologize, thank him and try to get to the elevator. Blake continues to scream and wail, so I just pick him up and carry all sixty pounds of kid to the elevator. Thankfully, a lady and her two older sons have called the elevator and it opens right as we get there. My kids run on and Ms. Well-Behaved Children decides to wait for another elevator. I am totally humiliated. Blake is now throwing a fit about pressing the numbers, I'm sure Ms. Well-Behaved is rolling her eyes and we proceed to the third floor. Blake gets a big time out once we're inside. He says he's sorry. Oh and then it turns out Ms. Well-Behaved is heading to our practice as well. Double humiliation.
Back to Hayden, I fill out a report on his condition and mark down that I've noticed a rash on his face a few days back along with his fever, etc. Fast forward 20 minutes of entertaining three boys in 8 x 8 exam room with "I spy in the parking lot", peppered with "Blake stop pulling on the drapes", "Grant, put the scarf down!" and "stop rough-housing!" Dr comes in, apparently rash is much bigger deal than I thought. Calls for strep test, calls for flu test, and both come back negative. I dig through the diaper bag and pull out a few broken graham crackers to calm the troops. The dr then orders a urinalysis which includes using a catheter to collect a specimen, which turns into ten minutes and two nurses trying to get a sample from a dehydrated, urine-less, screaming baby. We're sent to the hospital lab with orders for bloodwork. I make a quick stop at home and drop off the older boys.
Side-note: Grant was adorable all through the appointment. He would overhear Hayden's symptoms and narrate the event. "Hayden has a runny nose and diaper rash" "He is hot, he has a fever" "Hayden needs to lay down on his back on the table and get better" "He needs some red medicine" "Hayden has a very sad voice" It was so cute! Blake also shaped up and spent a few minutes singing songs to cheer Hayden up. I think they behaved pretty well considering our appointment took over an hour.
While I'm gone getting the bloodwork, Travis makes an amazing dinner including fried rice and chicken curry. The kitchen is trashed, but I was glad to have something to eat after an hour doing paperwork and holding down screaming baby for a blood-draw at the hospital. Just as we're cleaning up WWIII in our kitchen, the doctor calls on our stat test results and it shows a high level of immature white blood cells in Hayden's blood, a sign of a blood infection, which is very serious. She tells us to go to the ER right away for some IV antibiotics. Thankfully, Regan and Fiona rush over to watch the boys so we can both tend to Hayden. He's fussy and won't drink or eat, he hasn't peed, and is really hot still.
So, here we are at the ER. The doctors there are also freaked out about the skin rash, and here's why (taken from Wikipedia): A petechia is a small red or purple spot on the body, caused by a minor hemorrhage (broken capillary blood vessels). The significance of petechiae in children depends on the clinical context in which they arise. Petechiae in children can occur with viral infections. In this setting they do not necessarily signify serious illness. They are the hallmark of some possibly serious illnesses, however, such as meningococcemia, various causes of thrombocytopenia, and leukemia. Therefore, their presence should not be ignored.
Umm, yeah holy crap! So another cause of petechia is an infection in the blood, which is what they suspect. Also, he has this unexplained fever, which ties back into a blood infection as well. A blood culture (done at 6pm) will tell if there is such an infection, but it takes 24 hrs to see the results. As a precaution, they give Hayden an antibiotic that should fight most sources of the blood infection. After a couple hours of observation, they give the drug and we get to go home (1am). Hayden is really tired by this point and very sad about anyone touching him. He also really has to pee, but it hurts because of the whole catheter thing earlier in the day. Thankfully, he pees on the way home from the hospital, so we've overcome one hurdle. They told us if his rash spreads, he vomits, or cries uncontrollably to call 911 immediately. So I gave him some tylenol and he fell asleep, but has just woken up. No spread of the rash, I think he's tired. He's still not drinking a lot, so I think we'll be doing a lot of pedialyte force-feeding tomorrow. We'll also follow up with our dr tomorrow afternoon about the results of the blood culture, etc.
Poor Hayden, he's so sad. He really hated when the ER doctor cleaned out his ears. He screamed until he threw up. Of course he threw up on me! It's always me! So, this time tomorrow we should have more information. Hopefully the antibiotics will fight whatever is in his blood and his fever will break. Until then, constant prayers and love sent in our direction is appreciated!! And of course, much thanks to the Burdicks who stayed with our kiddos and cleaned our disaster of a kitchen for us!
I hope Hayden gets better. We love you guys, Mario says HI!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I should mention that we are thankful for Ben Taylor, who came to the hospital to help bless Hayden.
ReplyDeleteMan. Stink. Hope Hayden recovers quickly and everyone gets some well needed rest. Side note: intersted in trying Travis' fried rice dish.
ReplyDeleteHOLY CRAP!
ReplyDeleteWe will keep you guys in our prayers.
Poor Hayden. I have to say that through it all, he remains absolutely adorable. I hope he feels better soon- call if you need anything!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI MEAN THAT!!!!!
Oh, those pictures make me cry. I'm prayin' for him to get better. And so is every temple patron on the west coast and Hawaii. Heehee.
ReplyDeleteAnd the ladies at the quilt store where I was when you called are praying too!
ReplyDeleteThat was really good of Travis to make such a nice dinner and we still love the Burdicks! They are always there to help you! Tell Trav to just order a pizza tonight or Taco Bell and make life easy!!! It will be hard to make anything with Hayden fussy all day anyway. :)
Oh yeah...and if I were there I would cook you something fabulous and even not make Trav eat the vegetables! haha But I'm not...so fast food it is! haha
ReplyDeleteHoly cow, yeah, we'll keep him in our prayers.
ReplyDeletePoor Hayden. I hate to hear he is sick. So hard when they are so little. How did he get the blood infection? What causes it? Glad you have so many friends out there to help. Wish I could be there! I would love to help and watch those cute little boys!
ReplyDeleteOh man! Poor Hayden...and poor Mel and Trav! Tell your older boys to be good for you today, or Aunt Krista will come and get them!!!! We'll pray for you guys. And the whole sliding door incident...yep, that is classic. Don't worry about the well-behaved children lady...she'll get what's coming to her...preferably in a grocery store filled with intolerant adults who've never had children.
ReplyDeleteKeep us posted on the results! Hope today goes much better.
ReplyDeleteSorry about Hayden! I really hope he gets to feeling better soon, and that they caught whatever he has already, and he won't need anything else done to him! We'll pray for you all! I know he doesn't know me, but give hime extra snuggles from me anyway!
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about Haydens Er trauma! We've been praying for him and hope all continues to progress with health!
ReplyDeletehe's such a precious kid, even when he's sick he tries to smile. Such a good boy.
ReplyDelete