Blake fell as we hurried out the door this morning and bonked his head pretty badly on the floor. I checked him for bumps (couldn't find one) and looked at his eyes (pupils equal and reactive..thank you years of watching ER!!) and he seemed okay. He wasn't too excited about going to dance class and moped around the whole class. I thought he was just grumpy, but when he threw up at the end of class I figured something was wrong. This is when it's handy to have a mom who used to be a nurse. I loaded the kids in the car and called Grandma who advised us to head straight to the hospital. Blake was really tired and kept falling asleep and not wanting to talk to me. I started to get really worried and thankfully they got us through the ER paperwork pretty quickly.
Travis met us just as the nurse came in, and he took the other two kids home (Grant was home sick too). The doctor came in (same one we saw in Jan with Hayden) and told us it looked like a concussion and wasn't too worried about anything worse. Blake slept the next two hours and when the doctor woke him up, he was doing a lot better! He watched Spongebob and was excited to see his name on his hospital bracelet. He spent the next hour quizzing me on how to spell all the items in the room and then we got to come home. He seems to be back to his normal self and he got to eat his favorite meal for dinner: chips and cheese!! We'll go to his regular doctor tomorrow to follow up.
Aye yay yay...I think I got a million gray hairs today. All I could think of his how much I love Blake and how sad it would be if anything happened to him! He's such a happy, friendly kid and it was really hard to see him completely out of it. I hope we never have to do this again, but with three boys I don't think it will be our last ER visit. And thanks to Aunt Erica who put his name in the temples and Grandma for watching out for us!
I'm really glad he is okay. That is a really scary story. He is such a sweet little guy.
ReplyDeleteGive him a love for us.
eek! I am so glad that he's okay.
ReplyDeletePhew. How many grays hairs did you say you got?
That really is scary. I don't do well with accidents like this either. Same thing happened to Zach when he was a bit younger. He fell right on his head when him and Don were horsing around. It was scary. His eyes started floating back and he was out it. Don kept calm but I was FREAKING out. So glad he is OK. I know the feeling with BOYS.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad he's doing so much better! Poor little guy. It made me sick to my stomach when mom told me.
ReplyDeletePoor Blake! Talk about stress! Who takes dance class?
ReplyDeleteI thought I was really calm considering I was scared out of my mind for him and you!!! It's almost surprising I didn't show up on your doorstep! Oh, the power of prayer!
ReplyDeleteOh! I hate when things happen to my kids. It is so hard to see the so helpless. I am glad it wasn't nothing to serious, and you are difinetly right about it not being your last trip to the ER, so get used to it ;)
ReplyDelete