I went with an Easter theme for this week's Young Women Cake. Isn't it cute? I've decided the worst part about cake decorating is actually frosting the cake. It's so boring. Frost frost frost, cover the crumbs, make it look un-lopsided, blah blah blah. Then next boring is getting the pastry bags ready: snip, fill blah blah. But once I start mixing colors and decorating, I really enjoy it.
Perhaps I should just make a resolution to decorate a new cake each month and practice my cake decorating skills. Let's see, we made Hayden's blessing cake in January, the fish cake can count for February and this is March's cake! April will be Blake's B-day cake. Any ideas for our little troublemaker? Perhaps a little boy spilling hershey's syrup and mixing it with mineral oil and water? He's really been having fun with those lately. May can be Mother's Day, I could practice my flowers...June is Father's Day...July Trav's b-day...Aug Grant's b-day...Sounds like fun!!
What a cute cake and a GREAT idea! You can totally think of cool cakes to decorate for every month! It would be lots of fun and better tasting than the Martha cakes, I bet!
ReplyDeleteYeah, way better tasting. I ditched the nasty decorator icing recipe from Wilton. No Crisco on my cakes anymore. I love how the cream cheese frosting I use tastes! I ran into a cream cheese issue tonight though. I bought a bunch on sale a couple weeks ago and froze it. When I thawed it out tonight it was all grainy. Ewww! So I used my first batch of grainy frosting for filling and crumb coat only and Travis ran to the store for more cream cheese. mmmm
ReplyDeleteI also need ideas for a cake in all those same colors. I've got pastry bags full of all those colors of leftover icing in the fridge. A rainbow cake maybe? haha
great cake. you are so talented. i vote for Blake's cake being a little boy squirting chocolate all over himself. funny idea.
ReplyDeleteHey, post a picture of the new dresser if you think about it.
With those colors you could do yellow bunnies. Or make a pink one and then you could do pink and yellow bunnies. How cute would that be?? I LOVE the little chickies on the side of the cake. It's SOOOOO cute!
ReplyDeleteI think if you thaw the cream cheese out at least overnight and leave it until it is really soft. You almost have to leave it until it is a little warmer than room temp and starts to leave a mark where it has been thawing. That is what I do when I thaw regular cheese too.
ReplyDeleteThat's what I did mom. It was on the counter all afternoon and was VERY soft and very grainy...both packages. I just don't think it freezes well.
ReplyDeleteAll the work and boredom was worth it. The cake is really cute. Do I remember correctly that you took a cake decorating class in the past? If so, it paid off. If not, you're an artistic genius.
ReplyDeleteI bet your family loves all the fun cakes you create. I hope you keep a portfolio with photos of them all. Keep up the good work!