4.04.2009

Super-Hero Teacher

For WAAD, Grant's teacher taught the whole school about Autism. She started with Grant's class, teaching them about the special super-powers that Autism gave them. Grant's super-power is understanding letters, numbers, math and reading. They talked about how Autism made them special and unique. Next, Ms. Stern reached out to all the teachers at the school. She told them that we label our students with Autism every day and today, they would label themselves with Autism Awareness. And then she passed out labels that said 'Autism Awareness' and all the teachers wore them all day. It was awesome! I was so excited to see everyone from the school greeter to the principal wearing their labels!

Finally, Ms. Stern hosted a dis-Ability get-together for the inclusion classes that the boys go to. She invited the two classes in (while Grant and his friends were out of the room) and taught them about Autism. She told them of the boys' super-powers and read a story about a boy with Autism to the class. The kids had a great time learning and asking questions about Autism and the kids in Grant's class. It was great to see!


Thanks to everyone who has entered my giveaway so far! My goal is 25 entries, and I'm at 18!! We've had visitors from London, Germany, Australia, and all over the US since I posted on Thursday! On Thursday alone, we had hits from 48 different locations, I can't believe it! As far as the GC goes, I figure if $100 is all I have to pay to get a hundred people talking about Autism, it was worth it!! And I'm happy to donate the money to research if that's what the winner wants. To me, it's already been money well spent! The contest is open through Sunday, so keep the entries coming...maybe I can get to 25!!

And to end on a lighter note, check out these cool tshirt designs I found.


For our next trip into DC:

For Travis to wear the next time we go to DC (it says melt-down prevention unit):


For every day:

For everyone:
For every mom who's having a bad day:
For me:
For laughs: (stimming is an abbreviation for self-stimulating behavior. People with Autism sometimes participate in repetitive actions to calm themselves down or distract themselves from anxiety-causing situations. Stimming can be arm-flapping, rocking, dancing, chewing things, etc.)

This one is Grant for sure:
Love this one!!
Travis would love this one:

And remember, April is Autism Awareness month, so you haven't heard the last from me!

Oh and a layout I made last night with the class pics:

3 comments:

  1. Those t-shirts are hilarious! Really.

    How great it is for Grant to have such fabulous teachers. I am so glad he has people who recegonize all of his super abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait until we get there and wear our shirts in the city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that Grant has such awesome teachers and I love all of those t-shirts and can relate to all of them. I think we have the stim team captain at our house :)

    ReplyDelete