2.18.2010

Latest Developments

I visited my Dr. on Monday and found out they would definitely be lifting restrictions at 34 weeks. Apparently, 34 weeks is the new 36 weeks. Babies born at 34 have been shown to do just as well as 36 weekers. So I'll be off bedrest in just a short 10 days! Woo hoo! After that, they won't stop labor if it starts, but there's no guarantee it will start of course! I'll probably just have a billion contractions that don't send me into labor. Oh well.

Today I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. Ugh. I failed my 1 hr glucose test, and then really failed my 3 hour test this week. Here's the breakdown:

1 hour
Normal: 128 Me: 179

3 hour
Normal Fasting: 95 Me: 92
Normal 1 hour: 180 Me: 204
Normal 2 hour: 155 Me: 176
Normal 3 hour: 140 Me 167

So, I start with a class on Monday that will teach me how to eat and take my blood sugar (4x/day). I have to keep a log of everything and bring it in when I visit the doctor. Hopefully diet will control my blood sugar. If not, they will add medicine and insulin as a last resort. They also want to monitor me more closely from here on out. That means more weekly appointments as well as non-stress tests for the baby to make sure she's doing okay. Rumor is that they will deliver me early as well so the baby isn't too big. I'm totally down with that one.

Anyway, I'm kinda bummed. Tracking everything will be a big pain. But whatev...I'll survive for another month or so, right?

And here's a few pics of the kids to appease my parents:


Hayden after our big storm in December. He wanted to be buried in snow. Every time we asked if he wanted to come in, he would say "more snow!"


Blake and his lazy-man's snowman after our last big storm. This is what happens when Dad is busy shoveling for 3 hours and mom is on bedrest. You just have to make do!

Grant on Valentine's day. He's lost a couple more teeth...kinda inverse from this picture from 2/8/09:





2 comments:

  1. Oh man! I told Madi about your gestational diabetes and she said maybe you should come here so she can show you how to eat and test. Hahaha...I thought it was a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hang in there Melanie. We love you.

    Thanks for the update about you and the baby. We really appreciate it.

    The pictures of the boys are great.

    ReplyDelete