When I was in fifth grade, the Berlin Wall separating East and West Germany was torn down. You would think I learned that in school, but thanks to my mom, I learned about it at home. I remember coming home from school and Mom sitting us in front of the tv, emphatically stating "you are going to remember this day". We watched while excited Germans attacked the wall with picks and sledge-hammers. I remember them celebrating and climbing over the wall to greet their countrymen on the other side. It was the first time I remember being a part of history in some way, if only by watching it.
So today was my turn. I told the boys "you are going to remember this day". I bribed them with cans of Diet Coke, piles of fruit snacks, granola bars, noisemakers and glow sticks. They cried and whined, but when it came down to it, they sat and watched the first African-American sworn in as President of the United States of America. And maybe they won't remember this day (I know, they are young still). But maybe they won't remember this day because it won't be unusual to them. Because they will know a country where anyone can be President. Where color doesn't determine a person's quality, but the content of their character. Today I'm so proud to be an American and I will always remember this day.

Great photo...I wish I'd thought of it!!
ReplyDeleteAmen, sister! I will forever remember it, too. I made Ethan go upstairs so I could hear, because he was running around like a crazy man.
ReplyDeleteBut it was AWESOME. I'm so proud!!!
so cute....what good boys they are....
ReplyDeleteWhat a good mom you had!
ReplyDeleteDitto to what Laura Lee said :)
ReplyDelete