We have found the end-all pie crust recipe! It started with Martha, then on to traditional shortening crust and this year has topped them all! Cook's Illustrated vodka/butter/shortening pie crust! Thanks to Dad for the awesome recipe. Thanks to Trav for going to the liquor store and NOT even getting carded while buying our vodka. Special mention goes to Walmart for having pie plates in stock because why did I think I could make four pies when I only own two pie plates!
Anyway, it looks to be a really yummy year for pies. I also tried out my new mini-cookie cutters and really got into decorating the crusts. So here's the Thanksgiving pie run-down:
First up, apple pie with the filling we canned this summer. I used two quarts of filling to make a nice deep-dish pie. Since we're having Thanksgiving with the Burdicks this year, it was only appropriate to make a maple leaf crust (Fiona's Canadian and we're always teasing her about it hehehe).
Second, two basic pumpkin pies. Nothing special here, just cute pie crusts.
Lastly, our best-ever lemon meringue pie. We ditched the whole "lemon filling made from scratch" this year. Thank you Ms. Oeniker's pie filling mix! But our meringue is the BEST!! Five egg whites did the trick!! I can't wait to dig in!
Happy Thanksgiving! We'll try to talk to everyone later!
Your pies look spectacular! I wish we would have remembered to use the sanding sugar too! And here's the question: If we put the vodka in the pie dough do we have to wait to taste test it? hahahaha Nothing like getting drunk on pie crust!
ReplyDeleteThose are 3 of the prettiest pies I've ever seen. I'm sure they tasted as wonderful as they looked!
ReplyDelete