2.12.2006

Year's Supply!!

That's a lot of pasta

I load the cans! Go canner!

Trav carries cans into the basement, he can get 11 at once!

I used my label maker from Christmas to label all my cans! This rice will keep until Blake's a deacon!! Notice all the boxes behind me: full of food!


Last year there was an article in the Ensign about somewhere in South America where they were teaching food storage. The Church taught the people to save one handful of rice every time they made rice for dinner. Eventually they had enough to can their first can of rice. Well, I felt pretty bad and decided that it was time to start with our food storage. I figured I could spend $10 a week at the grocery store on food storage. Guess what was on sale the first week? Rice. I could get 40 lbs of rice for $10!!

So finally I've saved up a whole bunch of food and needed to dry pack it all. I drove up to the Washington DC cannery with my visiting teacher and loaded up her van with the canner and lots of cans! Trav and I cleared out our basement storage room and got to work last night. We canned 102 cans that hold a year's supply of rice, sugar, flour, and pasta! I was so excited to see my piles of boxes! Now I can keep going! Maybe by this time next year, I'll have all the rest of the food from our provident living printout.

11 comments:

  1. What!? "One Trip Travis" couldn't get all the cans at once? What's with that!? hahaha You guys are soooo good! I still need to get lots of stuff! We are building up our supply too. We have to start storing it under the beds and in the spare bedroom closets. It is too hot here to keep much outside in the garage! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool, can you actually rent the canning machine and bring it home? I'm way interested!
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  3. you guys are an inspiration. we actually went to the cannery last thursday evening a did a couple cases of rice and potatoe pearls.

    way to go guy!

    p.s. happy snow day from church to you too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenni --- you don't even have to rent it... we just called up the cannery and checked the canner out for a week. Way good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cory and I have never been to the cannery before. We need to though. That is so cool that you can check out the machine. Maybe one of these days I'll go with Mom and Dad and learn how to do it. Right now our food storage consists of cold cereal. That's it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny when you say that the rice will last until Blake's a deacon because from experience we know it will last much longer. When he is 14 years old you could put it in a bag and have him wear it to bed around his neck or to keep is toes warm; when he's 21 you can even throw it at his wedding. Rice has many uses and will last forever. We finally used all of our 20 year rice and recently canned some more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome Dan! I thought I would give the boys their sugar when they get married! haha I'll say: See the date on this! You were 3 when we canned this and now you're 25 and you can take it with you to start your year's supply of food. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you put all those cans in boxes and stack them in your basement?

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used some of our rice once for bean bags that we used at a ward carnival.

    Maybe we should come up with the top 10 ways to use the rice which we all seem to store forever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought some more rice and sugar today, I was a little short on those for my year's supply. You can get a 50 pound bag of rice for $11.50 there! A lady in my ward is heading up to the cannery for more cans tomorrow. She's also going to buy me my first 50 pounds of wheat. My visiting teacher said I could use her grinder and she would teach me how to make wheat bread.

    And yes, it's all stacked neatly in our basement. It all fits in this little space between our work bench and the wall, we hardly even notice it's there.

    Should I look into buying a wheat grinder Dan & Tam? What kind do you and all your food storage buddies have? How much should I spend? I was thinking of it for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete