I can make frosting roses!! I love this cake and yes, I made it!! It's from my final class in course 1 of cake decorating. I can't wait to start course 2!!
I signed up for course 2 last night! I can't wait!! Micheal's is running a special and each of my classes only cost $12.50 to enroll. It takes about $30-50 to get all the supplies and a ton of Crisco and powdered sugar for all the frosting. It's worth it though, I having a ton of fun and I'll use my supplies for a long time.
Making the streaky frosting is really easy. You just color your frosting like normal (mine is light orange). Then you get your tip all ready in your pastry bag and you take a toothpick dipped in food coloring ( I used pink) and make streaks along the inside of the empty piping bag. I made about four or five stripes that started near the tip where the frosting comes out and went up the side of the bag.
Then you fill the bag with the frosting and you get a stripey/tinted frosting as it comes out. It comes out pretty dark as you begin, but gets lighter as you go. That's why some roses are darker than others. It was a fun technique to try and pretty cool looking!
Since my mother in law works at Michaels, she's been telling me when those classes have gone on sale. (It's pretty often.) I haven't signed up yet, I really want to though. When all of us get together again we are totally going to be professional cake makers. Awesome!
Those are awesome....I'm thinking about taking those classes here. Is it worth it? I guess it is because those roses are grogeous!! Good job!
ReplyDeletePolka dots and roses all together! Are you sure you don't want to make Erica's cake? hahaha I bet she would pay you $1.50 a slice too!
ReplyDeleteI signed up for course 2 last night! I can't wait!! Micheal's is running a special and each of my classes only cost $12.50 to enroll. It takes about $30-50 to get all the supplies and a ton of Crisco and powdered sugar for all the frosting. It's worth it though, I having a ton of fun and I'll use my supplies for a long time.
ReplyDeleteMaking the streaky frosting is really easy. You just color your frosting like normal (mine is light orange). Then you get your tip all ready in your pastry bag and you take a toothpick dipped in food coloring ( I used pink) and make streaks along the inside of the empty piping bag. I made about four or five stripes that started near the tip where the frosting comes out and went up the side of the bag.
Then you fill the bag with the frosting and you get a stripey/tinted frosting as it comes out. It comes out pretty dark as you begin, but gets lighter as you go. That's why some roses are darker than others. It was a fun technique to try and pretty cool looking!
Since my mother in law works at Michaels, she's been telling me when those classes have gone on sale. (It's pretty often.) I haven't signed up yet, I really want to though. When all of us get together again we are totally going to be professional cake makers. Awesome!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! Those roses are gorgeous! You are so talented! I need you around whenever I get married! I love the polka dot/rose combo.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to eat course 2.
ReplyDelete