This year the Hobbs made: rolls, cranberry pretzel jello, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie, chocolate-bottom banana cream pie, and lemon meringue pie. Our first mistake was procrastination. We began the process of taking down wallpaper in the kitchen in September. It took until October before we bothered finishing the job. We didn't get around to painting the walls and trim until November and finished up the day before Thanksgiving. So we began cooking that night at 11pm! Eek! The pretzel crust on the jello didn't set up right and looked awful. The lemon curd for the meringue pie never thickened, and we ditched our plans for a custard pie in favor of the easier banana cream pie.
On Thanksgiving morning we took the kids to McDonald's to run off some steam and have breakfast.
Mmmm...cinnamon melts.
Group picture attempt
It was awesome. Then we hit the store for lemon pudding since my curd never set. When I got home, I realized on box I bought was cook and serve, while one box was instant lemon pudding. I made the both and layered them, topping it all with piles of meringue. It ended up tasting okay. The banana cream pie looked awful, the pumpkin pies were fine, and the jello turned out okay since we piled on cool whip and you couldn't seen the nasty mix of jello, pretzel, and cream cheese filling. Like I said, the cooking was crappy this year. But the rolls were amazing. See?
We piled our Franken-meringue pie and other creations into the car and headed for Manassas to eat with the Burdicks. I told Fiona I wouldn't be there unless her dining room chairs were finally finished and they were! So we sat our behinds on beautiful chairs and had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner.
We're so thankful for wonderful friends and family. This year was a great one for the Hobbs!










No comments:
Post a Comment