Okay, how could we pass up the opportunity to see a presidential candidate right in our own backyard?! When we heard Obama would be holding his final campaign rally in Manassas, we were so there! We thought it would be great to be a part of such a historical race. Thankfully, Regan offered to babysit our kids so we could go. We left around 6:50 with Fiona and Scott and were at the fairgrounds by 7:20. Now we only had to wait an hour and a half until the big address. But, everything was late, so it was after ten before we heard Obama.
The ensuing three hours of waiting were filled with a variety of things:
Lots of standing.
The strangest 'prayer' I've heard in awhile.
A really flat version of the Star Spangled Banner.
A speech by Judy 'Darth' Fader.
Various speeches by various candidates running for various positions...some good, some bad.
A speech by Tim Kaine's 18 year old son, asking the youth to be involved.
Lots of 'Yes We Can' chanting.
Cigar smoke.
A super-terrible band. And when I say super-terrible, I mean bad elevator music that never stops terrible.
Sweet tunes from the Obama soundtrack.
Posing in other people's pictures.
Dance parties.
Songs by Travis and Fiona.
Embarrassment by Scott.
Finally, Obama arrived and started his speech. I have to say I was REALLY impressed. He does have a charisma that outstripped any other speaker there tonight. Most of all it was exciting to be even a little bit a part of or observant of our political system. I'm so excited to live in this country! We're awesome! No matter who is elected tomorrow, the power will shift to the new President in January and will do so without war, revolt or military coup. Our country's great traditions will carry on and we can be a part of that by voting!! I love it! I can't wait to vote and watch the results come in tonight.
Getting out of the fairgrounds was crazy!! It was crazy crowded and claustrophobic, but we made it out and got home in no time! So anyway, did I say how much I love living here? I never thought I would have this opportunity! Okay...I'll try to fall asleep now...and remember to vote! And remember to get your free Chick-Fil-A for voting!



That really must have been awesome! I bet the crowds would get you all riled up. I can't wait to vote! I love election years. Haha.
ReplyDeleteYou guys are smart to live where you can really see where history is happening! Looks like you had a great time too!
ReplyDeleteLove your pics! I swear we were in the same area!!! Happy Election Day!
ReplyDeleteFun times and great posting, but I hope McCain wins.
ReplyDeleteToo bad he didn't. :((( It should at least be an interesting four years.
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm jealous.
ReplyDeleteI don't quite know why these events always bring out so many weirdos and strange experiences, but I always think that is part of the fun!
So I am definitely blog stalking...(sorry, I am a ridiculous blog stalker...)but I came across yours and saw that you were at the Obama rally. Austin and I were there too! It was quite the experience.
ReplyDelete