The last two nights have been terrible. Apparently all my greatest fears have surfaced under this stress and I've had nightmares about friends getting divorced, water streaming down the walls of our house, not being able to run our half-marathon because I didn't have ID, and even that I was pregnant and it was a girl but I didn't believe the doctors! While awake, I've been worried that my financial future is being ruined by someone selling my identity on ebay. I dug up our back-up credit card today, put a fraud alert on our credit report, and decided I would begin canceling accounts tomorrow.
While checking our bank account for the two hundred and fifty-sixth time, I got a phonecall from our credit card company. They were on the phone with a spanish-speaking woman who had found my wallet in the parking lot of the last store I had been to!! The operator cancelled our account and helped set up a rendesvous with said lady at the 'Peter Pan Buffet' so I could retrieve my wallet. Travis said he would drive me 'in case of a set-up', we ditched our Family Home Evening plans, and hit the road.
I spent the next 30 minutes going over every scenario and wondering what would be left in my wallet when we got there and trying to remember all of my high school spanish! I called my new friend, Alba, once we got there and in no time, she arrived with my wallet! She talked for about 10 minutes or so and she explained how she had found it. I was amazed at how much I understood her (Gracias Senora Yoder/AP Spanish!!). SO, she found the wallet on Sunday, just sitting in the parking lot of the Korean market we visited after the clothing exchange. The cash was gone, but everything else was intact!! Thankfully, I only had $20 and some change, which was a small price to pay considering how bad it could have been. I probably didn't put it all the way in my purse, or it fell out of my purse, or who knows, maybe someone took it?
She told me how she couldn't find my phone number anywhere, and called the credit card company looking for me. She was worried that my social security card was in there and even my checks (I'm so stupid, I know). I asked her about her family and it turns out, she has five kids back home in Honduras. She and her husband made sure I checked to see that everything was there and were so glad to help me out. I'm just glad for honest people who could have used my money more than me and chose to do the right thing...What a relief! So a big thank-you to Alba and her sweet husband who were looking out for a complete stranger...and note to self, I am going to carry only the minimum number of cards from now on. So I'm off to cancel all our cards, switch bank accounts and re-route all of our direct debit payments. But I'd rather be doing that than seeing what my nightmares would be like tonight!
And here's some random pictures:
Melanie, That's a crazy story. I carry a lot of cards too. My credit card, my work credit card, my special 15% off special JoAnns card (it even counts on clearance), drivers license, checks (occasionally)....and the list goes on.....I'm glad you were able to get it back. And, good job on the Spanish...the only spanish I know is from the Adam Sandler song. Mi Casa is Su Casa...ein problema...ohhh biblio tech...!
ReplyDeleteThat's an awesome story, though at the time I sure it wasn't so funny, but I died laughing the way you told it.
ReplyDeleteI lost my wallet a few months ago. I finally found it under the bed. It must have fell from my pocket while undressing. Stupid me didn't think to look there, but sure enough Tammy found it for me.
Good Story Mel. Bless that Mexican.
Oh man how stressful! So glad you found it. Nice to know that their are still some honest people in the world
ReplyDeleteYou've been having the worst luck with losing things. First everything on your driver (which you recovered), now your wallet (which you found). Watch out things happen in threes, what's next? Probably your sanity after all of that. You should probably get a spare key made just in case.
ReplyDeleteLOL! I think Lia TOTALLY just jinxed you!
ReplyDeleteMan, I am soooo glad you got it back. phew.
At least now you can cancel credits cards with a lighter load!
Lia - you don't know about the missing keys yet? I'm pretty sure she lost a set of keys for like a whole year or something and it turned up in the most random place..
ReplyDeleteAnyway, Mel.. I'm so glad you got your wallet back. YAY for high school Spanish! My Portuguese and high school Spanish help me at the flea market..
I am so relieved. I have been thinking about you and the stress of the lost wallet since Sunday.
ReplyDeleteSometimes in lousy situations there is a silver lining. We had our car broken into a few years back and my temple clothes were stolen (they were in a brief case and I think someone thought they were getting a laptop, but SURPRISE). Apparently the thief didn't want them, and threw them out on the side of the road. I felt so violated and upset that someone stole from me, at my own house. But, then a kind man tracked me down from a slip of paper with my name on it. He had no idea the significance of what he had found, but had sepnt the whole morning collecting items off the side of the road and trying to find me.
It helps to have your faith that even strangers will often do you a good turn restored. Sometimes we live in such a cynical world -- it gives rise to terrible nightmares!
I didn't realize this was causing THIS much stress! So glad there are kind people out there and that now you can sleep peacefully!
ReplyDeleteP.S. Sure hope I we weren't the friends getting a divorce...and a girl...hmmmm...
That sucks! Glad someone came to your rescue!
ReplyDeleteNow take some deep breaths...
The fear and chaos of losing your wallet is unreal. The first six or so years of our marriage, Jeff lost his wallet all the time. It just makes you so thankful for the honest people out there, and you hope they are taken care of for doing such a good deed.
ReplyDelete