3.29.2008

Happy Anniversary House!

It's our sixth year in our townhouse and there is one thing I have hated since that day we signed the papers in March 2002: This NASTY carpet. It's strangely golden colored, stained, and altogether tacky. Upstairs, it's brown around the edges because previous owners never took care of it. In the basement, it's all crooked and weird from the time the sump pump failed. The kids' bedrooms are atrocious with stains all over the place! Our bedroom has blue paint stains on it, a permanent indentation where the previous owner had his bookcases, and a missing patch in the corner where he had built a weird desk thing. And finally my day has come!! Happy Anniversary house, we are giving you a carpet facelift!

I've shopped, compared and generally agonized over samples. Our budget is small and our square footage seems massive now that I have to pay for each foot of carpet...and padding...and installation...and haul-away... I quizzed Ms. Helpful at Home Depot, compared prices at Lowe's and finally wheeled and dealed with the international Mr Nikpouy at Carpetland, and came up with great carpet for only four hundred dollars over our original budget. Apparently, the carpet business is slow, and the smaller companies are desperate to steal business from the big chains. So, since I can't make up my mind (or more specifically, I have an idea of what I want, but need affirmation from informed sources who know my house/style and are not my husband, who generally agrees with me), here are the choices:


Super-soft shag carpet for the upstairs:
I prefer this color, but let me know if I've made the wrong choice!

Basement berber choices. I like gingerroot

Any of the colors are in-stock and can be installed by Wed. I think we'll schedule a week or two out so we have time to paint the basement.

And house, I expect a big thank-you letter for the new carpet.

7 comments:

  1. I like goldenrod for the berber.

    For the carpet, is it too light? Will it hide stains? Is it just for the stairs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I miss my new carpet at the townhouse! Berber was awesome in the basement because the kids could still drive their cars fast on it and it took their abuse well!

    I like your choices. Who knew that carpet choosing could be so daunting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel,

    I like the color choice, but I'm thinking I would ditch the shag for upstairs and go with a plain carpet like what we have in our house, but then again it's a personal taste. However, we've lived here 8 years, and I still like it so that's a good sign. If I were buying again I'd bet Tammy and I would pick something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is similar to what we already have, which is close to the color your are choosing, just not shag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the shag because it's so soft on my feet. Carpet like in your house (Dan) is really expensive, or if it's the cheap stuff it's really cheap looking too. I think I'll again take Denise and my Mom's advice and go a little darker on the color for the upstairs and maybe the goldenrod in the basement. Or maybe I'll just change my mind ten times before I have to call the guy tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:33 PM

    Shag is very nice but make sure it is a good quality. If not it will matt up really fast. Especially on the stairs. We have it in our house and I love it BUT if it gets something sticky on it it is hard to get it all out of the shag. I would go darker. LOVE berber for the basement! That is what we put in ours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a conundrum....if you go darker, is it too dark? If you stay lighter will it get all dingy looking? I'm glad it's you and not me. I like looking at carpet until I try to decide on something. It is so hard! I think that the berber will be great in the basement, though. And I like the color, it should be nice down in your dungeon (being a dungeon owner myself, I know what it is like to try to make it look less dungeon-like). I can just imagine squashing my toes into that nice deep shag....ahhh...so much nicer than my freezing hardwood floor in the morning!

    ReplyDelete