1.21.2008

Tag, Your Husband is It

More pictures for Paul Snow...keeping the dream alive!!

Tai-Chi Travis on his mission

Scenic Taiwan Travis


What’s his name? Travis Daniel, he read in Freakonomics that his name is associated with lower-class, low-income jobs. But I really like his name. And Daniel is after his dear old dad.

How long have you been together? Since April 1999

How long did you date? First date: 1/16/99: no dice, we both liked someone else. First real date 4/29/99, fireworks! I left four days later, he visited Memorial Day weekend, we got engaged after much email and another visit in late June. So technically, nine days actually in the same place with each other, but around three months of time. Tricky huh?

Interesting side note: we got married one year after our first, uneventful date on 1/15/00.

How old is he? 32

Who eats more? Depends on what it is. Chips-Travis, Chocolate-Melanie

Who said I love you first? Travis Daniel Hobbs, on the beach in Santa Cruz, so cute. His feet got sunburned that day! haha

Who is taller? In high school, my best friend and I decided that we would marry men that were 5' 10", we figured it was the perfect height. Travis is 5' 10", but my friend's husband is about 5' 5".

Who is smarter? Tricky tricky. Of course, I would say me, except when it comes to math and memorization of states, presidents, and history. Travis does have a knack for figuring out a lot of things around the house in ways that would never occur to me though. Like when you can't find a baby blanket, put him in a flannel pillowcase...baby has cold hands? why put socks on them of course! I have to admit some of these make perfect sense, except for the "fixing everything with zip-ties" phase. He also has a quicker wit and an amazing ability to pull out a movie line that perfectly matches most situations. It took me years to realize where all his random comments were coming from...it still kind of throws my mom off when she comes to visit. When it comes to all things cooking, I win, general logic and ability to argue, I win. In actuality, we're probably about the same though, just with different strengths.

Who does laundry? Lately, Travis. He's a pro at keeping it going and has done the majority of the laundry since Hayden was born. Woo hoo! We both hate mating socks though and we are constantly searching for socks for the boys. My dream come true would be a lifetime of mated socks always in the right sizes and colors. Do they have sock fairies? Oh and Travis cleans the bathroom most of the time too!

Who does the dishes? We both do.

Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? Travis has to sleep on the side furthest from the door. We switched sides during the first year of our marriage and then realized we always switched with our apartment or location we slept...Travis always ended up on whatever side was furthest from the door. Apparently, if an intruder breaks in, Travis thinks I will be able to handle it.

Who pays the bills? Me. Travis did them when we first got married, but made me crazy...so I took over. We make money decisions together and I don't mind keeping the money stuff in order. But I do wish he would care as much about mailing the HOA bill as he does about mailing his Netflix.

Who mows the lawn? Travis. We prefer to call it "cutting down the weedpatch". I like that he edges it each time he mows...like four times a summer.

Who cooks dinner? Travis is my sous chef. Or he'll watch the kids while I cook. Travis does make a mean grilled cheese and invented "Trav-tacular Super-chiladas". He is an accomplished cookie-baker too. He tries to bake cookies with the kiddos every Sunday.

Who drives when you are together? Travis used to drive most of the time, then he had his eye surgery, and I took over more. I'd say it's about 50/50 these days. I usually drive at night or when we're late because I get touchy.

Who is more stubborn? We both are.

Who kissed who first? Travis kissed me, the only girl he's ever kissed.

Who asked out who first? Ahh, I remember it so well...Travis hollering down from the upper floor of our apartment building as I stood about 100 feet away: "Hey Melanie, you want to go on a group date with me tonight?!" He had waited until the last minute to ask someone and apparently I was the first girl he saw. This of course was for the first January date that went nowhere, although we had a nice time and he told me I bowled like his Grandma. For the first official date, I think he asked me over email. haha

Who proposed? Travis, with the diamond from my parent's wedding ring. He picked out a beautiful setting and I love it!

Who has more siblings? Travis has three, I have two.

Who wears the pants in the family? Me of course. He's pretty laid back and I like to be in control, so I usually make a decision and consult him on it. He'll definitely let me know if he disagrees!

I usually think these tagging things are pretty lame, but this one was fun. So now I tag some people who I think will have some fun answers: Mom, Tammy, Erica, Krista, Angie, and Jenni and whoever else wants to.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for not thinking this one was lame Melanie.

    I have to say that I really laughed a lot, and very loudly reading some of your answers.

    Travis is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:13 PM

    Hi Melanie-

    Hope you dont mind me stalking your blog! This was so funny! I learned somethings I didnt know. Glad to see that you guys are doing well! Sarah W

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was funny too! What can I say, but good job, Melanie. I think you captured me well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah!! Thanks for commenting...I know you've been reading for a long time! Now, where's your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What Melanie and Travis are both smart with is their incredible wittiness--by coming up with crazy names for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:24 PM

    What kind of counter do you use to see how many hits you get? I want one! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL--I've never been tagged before...guess I gotta do it then...it'll distract me from this terrible, horrible, no good, very bad move!! LOVED reading yours--too funny! :)

    ReplyDelete