10.02.2006

What's been keeping me busy?


Baby Afghan



Grant checks out one of the quilts, I hope he likes it this much on Christmas morning!!

The nesting/project stage of pregnancy have definitely set in during the last month. I finished the boys' Christmas quilts that will go on their bunk beds once they share a room. Angie, my wonderful sister-in-law is being nice enough to quilt them for me. I'm happy with how they came out and can't wait to have them done!

Then I went to our ward's crochet group and learned how to do more than the chain I've been able to do since age nine. I remember I made a really cool leash for my stuffed dog back then, it's nice to be able to do a little bit more! I took on this cute baby blanket and am now in love with crocheting!! I am unwilling to calculate the hours I spent on it, but it was all worth it. It's the coming home from the hospital blanket!

5 comments:

  1. P.S. On the library front, I got an official letter of apology from the library on fancy letterhead last week!! They explained their position very nicely and then apologized profusely for the incident. It was awesome!! It was cc'ed to all the people I had emailed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet about the library thing!! They won't mess with you again! And can I just say...OH MY GOSH!!!! I am totally in love with that afghan!!!! I want to make one so bad now! You have got to somehow tell me how to do that stitch so I can do it!! If you just tell me how to do one square I can totally figure out the rest. I neeeeeed to make it!!!! Puh-lease!!!!! (Can you tell that I'm starting to hit the project phase?? I started the secret Christmas slipper project today...they are going to be soo cute!!!) Anyway, I will be begging you forever, so you may as well tell me how to do that!!!! Great job on it, it turned out so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, here's how to make the squares: Chain 6
    slip stitch the last and first chain together to make a circle

    Chain 3 (this counts as the first double crochet) and then 2 double crochet into the center of the circle
    Chain 2 (this makes a corner)
    3 Double crochet into center
    Chain 2
    3 Double Crochet into center
    Chain 2
    3 Double Crochet into center
    Chain 2 and then slip stitch into the top of the original Chain 3.

    Now you have kind of a square with four sets of double crochet and the 2 chains that make corners. Now, you just add another layer of it around the outside:

    Chain 3 and 2 Double crochet into the space you have just left (upper right hand corner).

    Chain 1 to get over to the next corner.

    3 Double Crochet, 2 Chain, 3 Double crochet in that corner (upper left hand)

    Chain 1 to get to next corner

    3 DC, 2 Ch, 3 DC in that corner

    When you get back to the beginning, only do 3 dc, then 2 chain and join with slip stitch to top of 3rd chain that you did first. Now your square is is twice as big.

    Chain 3, and 2 DC into the space you just left and start going around for the final time Chain 1 to get to the next space. 3 dc into the space. 3 dc, 2 ch, 3 dc in the corners, ch 1 to get to the next space, 3 dc if it's not a corner, Ch 1 to next space. On the corners, 3 dc, ch 2 and 3 dc. When you finish this last round, slip stitch to the top of the third chain, weave in the ends and you're done!!

    If this is too confusing, call me or look up instructions on a granny square online (try crochetpatterncentral.com) I used baby yarn (worsted weight I think) and an I hook. Each square should be 3.5 in. You need 49 light blue squares, 30 dark blue and 20 white. It's a lot of work, but so worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That baby afghan is so flippin' cute. Good job on your first crocheting project, Mel (besidnes the long chain leash, which was really well made, after all). The quilts for the boys are going to look great in their room too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I'm so jealous! You always make the coolest stuff. And, I think you totally deserved that apology from the library. Good job.

    P.S. Did you ever finish your big Christmas Quilt from a couple of years ago that you made with your mom?

    ReplyDelete