Take two pieces of fabric or lace that is 18in by 6 in. I think technically the fabric I used is called Victorian Lace Edging. You basically need a fabric or eyelet that isn't gathered and has one finished edge. Put one wrong side to one right side and serge down unfinished long side. Open up the fabric and press seam open. Serge the two remaining short sides.
Fold the piece almost in half with the long serged seam on the inside. Off-set the scalloped edges to create the front of the bonnet. Sew a seam to form the casing along the back edge of the bonnet about 1/2-3/8 in from the fold.
Fold under and sew the two short sides to form a hem. Be sure to stop sewing just short of the casing.
Thread your 3/8 in ribbon through the casing, gather, and tie a bow to form the bonnet. Sew on the 1 in ribbon ties. (Fancy baby stores leave the tie in one continuous loop so the mom can cut it to the correct length) Cover the seam with a 1/8 in ribbon bow.
And you're done! You can shorten the length of fabric to 14 or 16 inches depending on what size bonnet you're making. The instructions said an 18 in bonnet will fit a 6 or 7 month baby.
I also tried something new on the quilt. I sewed it all together around the edges and turned it right side out. Then I safety pinned it where I normally would have tied it. I took it to my machine and satin stitched little squares where all my safety pins were to secure the layers together. It was really quick and is a very subtle way to tie it.
Melanie...those are so cute. I really like the eyelet lace on teh edge of the blanket. The bonnets are a good idea. Quick and easy and really cute too.
ReplyDelete