3.24.2010

Here it Comes!!




World Autism Awareness Day 2010 is April 2nd!!! Autism Speaks is sponsoring the "Light it Up Blue" campaign to raise awareness. The Empire State Building and many other prominent buildings around the world will be lit with blue lights on the evening of April 1st.

WAAD was set by the UN to accomplish the following: "World Autism Awareness Day shines a bright light on autism as a growing global health crisis. WAAD activities help to increase and develop world knowledge of the autism epidemic and impart information regarding the importance of early diagnosis and early intervention. Additionally, WAAD celebrates the unique talents and skills of persons with autism and is a day when individuals with autism are warmly welcomed and embraced in community events around the globe.

By bringing together autism organizations all around the world, we will give a voice to the millions of individuals worldwide who are undiagnosed, misunderstood and looking for help. Please join us in our effort to inspire compassion, inclusion and hope."

With that in mind, join me in Lighting it Up Blue in 2010!! Our family will be wearing BLUE on April 2nd to show our support and love for Grant and every person and family with autism. I made these to give Grant's teacher and will be wearing one myself the entire month of April:





What can you do? Here are some suggestions from the LIGHT IT UP BLUE website:

Wear your Autism Speaks puzzle piece pin every day throughout the month of April, and tell people about autism if they ask about it.

Change your Facebook profile picture to the Light It Up Blue logo and tag at least 10 of your friends.

Post on your blog about how you are “lighting it up blue” to raise autism awareness.

Add the Light It Up Blue logo to your e-mail signature … and type your e-mails in blue!

On April 2 wear blue clothing and ask your co-workers, schools and friends to wear blue too. Take pictures and add them to our Flickr gallery.

Bake puzzle piece shaped cookies and frost them with blue icing, then bring them to your school, work or place of worship to raise autism awareness.

So what's in it for you? Join us! Wear blue, post about the campaign on your blog, change your Facebook status, or make a donation to Autism Speaks. If you participate in the Light it Up Blue campaign in any way, tell me about it (in a comment here on the blog) and you'll be entered into a drawing. I'll choose a name and donate $100 to Autism Speaks in your name to further autism research and treatment. Easy-peasy! I can't wait to hear what you come up with! Be sure to check back on April 2nd for updates on Grant and how we are lighting it up blue! Off to find blue food recipes for blue dinner....

P.S. Want an autism necklace like the ones pictured above? Make a $25 donation to Autism Speaks and I'll make you one!


5 comments:

  1. Oooh - I will be donating!! I want a necklace! Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too!!! I was just thinking that I wanted one of those necklaces! Count me in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! So far $100 has been donated to Autism Speaks and I've made four necklaces! Great job! Just forward me your receipt and I'll get a necklace to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a necklace and we donated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww that is so sweet. Very cute necklaces!!

    ReplyDelete