1.29.2010

Troublemaker


Remember our anniversary? Well Travis and I had a great time celebrating in Philadelphia. We visited King of Prussia Mall and explored a bit more in Philly. We ate yummy cheesesteaks and did a lot of walking. So much walking that I began to notice a few contractions. They didn't really go away either. Finally, we headed back to the hotel and I realized they were about 3 minutes apart. I made sure they weren't getting any more painful or longer, and after a few hours, they went away. We decided to end our trip a day early just to be safe.

When I saw my dr a couple days later, she seemed a bit alarmed and let me know that any more than 6 contractions an hour (even if they aren't really painful or long) was cause for concern and warranted a trip to the hospital. Oops! She told me to call right away if it happened again. Of course I was in charge of the YW activity the next day and did have about an hour of contractions that night. But I didn't have to call unless they were for 2 or more hours. So I was in the clear...or so I thought.

I felt a few on and off over the next few days and had a busy day at church on Sunday. So I went to bed early Sunday night and guess what? Monday morning they started up again. After a couple hours, I called the Dr and they sent me to Labor & Delivery. Talk about weird being there so early in my pregnancy! I thought they would see the contractions and say they were Braxton-Hicks and send me home. Nope! Apparently they were real and they gave me fluid which didn't stop them. Three shots of Terbutaline and six hours later, I was on my way home with orders to stay off my feet as much as possible until my follow-up appt. Blah! Thankfully, the contractions weren't causing any dilation and the baby's heartrate looked great the whole time.

So, I've taken it easy all week and haven't had any contractions so far. But I did notice that after doing a bit of activity, I do feel a bit tight and cramp-y. As you can guess, the Dr. says more of the same for the next two weeks and probably until I'm 34 weeks (end of Feb). Our first choice is that I'll continue to take it easy, the contractions won't return and I'll have to be induced at 40 weeks. The second choice is that contractions will return and I'll head to the hospital for more Terb. Hopefully they won't cause me to actually go into labor or I might get stuck in the hospital. Next time I go in, they can do a test that will tell if I'm at risk for pre-term labor. If that comes back positive, they can start steroids and continue withe bedrest. Like I said, we hope none of that happens. And that's why I'll be home for the next few weeks.

Thankfully, it's not full bedrest. I can still get up and around to help with the kids, drive to the bus, go places as long as I'm sitting, drive, etc. And thankfully, Erica is here visiting until 2/8 and can run errands, make dinner, etc. Travis has also worked really hard every day when he comes home to keep the house clean and take care of the kiddos. Meanwhile, I've tried to busy myself with sitting jobs: sorting through baby clothes, a little bit of sewing, checking facebook, and figuring out how I can finish decorating the nursery without going up and down the stairs! LOL! And to add insult to injury, I failed the 1 hour glucose test and now I have to take the 3 hour. Yuck. Of course, I've only passed the 1 hour with Blake, and had to do the 3 hour with Grant and Hayden, only to have it come back completely normal. So I hope that happens again, but I'm not looking forward to 3 hours at the lab with 4 blood draws! Man, this little girl is a troublemaker. Or maybe I'm just getting too old for this. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Hang in there Melanie. It is better to rest than have this baby come too early. I speak by experience here. It is a huge blessing that Erica is there to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck for sure! Enjoy the rest and try to enjoy it. I know when I was on bed rest I hated that I couldn't get anything done (but I was on strict bed rest).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish we were there to help! I'm sure it's hard to be sidelined, but better to take it easy and not finish the nursery than have a super preemie! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geeesshh! Take it easy. Do some stamping. If you need someone to paint a nursery, I can help!

    P.S. Did you love King of Prussia? That's my middle/high school stomping ground!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're not dilating! Oh, take it easy please :) It's great that you have Erica to help right now. I'm curious though. Why would they need to induce you at 40 weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That brings back memories with Darron. I was in the hospital 3 times for a couple of days each with him, had to take the "T" stuff and "Steroids" and put on bed rest, but got to go out on my Anniversary. He came at 36 weeks. I hope your able to go longer, but thank goodness girls develop faster than boys :-). Your in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete