11.15.2009

Sister Dalton

Every 8-10 years, our church holds regional training meetings in our area pertaining to different groups within the church. Luckily, I happen to be the Young Women president in our ward (congregation) and yesterday was one of these trainings for the Young Women, Primary (children's group) and Relief Society (women's group). I was invited along with about 80 other YW presidents to attend a training with the General YW President, Sister Elaine Dalton. Holy cow, what an amazing experience!!!

So as soon as we finished the race, we said goodbye to our friends, walked to the car and raced back home from Richmond so I could get a shower and make it to my meeting. Thankfully, we didn't hit traffic and I made it in time to join the carpool from my ward to McLean, VA for the meeting.

In attendance at the meeting were all YW presidents, Primary presidents, RS presidents, Bishops, and Stake Presidencies for 8 stakes in the region. Elder Marriott was there presiding (so cool!). The other leaders were of course, Sister Dalton, Sister Lant (Primary General President) and Sister Stephens (RS General Board Member). First of all, for all you YW leaders in the family, Sister Dalton let us in on some NEW info that NOBODY knows yet. But, you'll all find out in December anyway, so.....

1. We are getting NEW Personal Progress books! They'll be sent out in Dec.
2. In the new books, MOTHERS are invited to complete the YW recognition award with their daughter.
3. If a girl doesn't have a mother, a sister from the ward can mentor her.
4. They will be announcing certificates of completion for each age group: Beehive, Mia Maid, and Laurel.
5. They have a new recognition for the YW when they complete each of the values in PP. When the value is complete, they will receive a matching colored ribbon with a little jewel on it that they can use in their scriptures.
6. A new incentive will be announced for girls that have already finished their YW recognition award: the Honor Bee. To earn this bee-shaped bead, the girls will need to read the Book of Mormon one more time and do 40 hours of service. Ten of those service hours need to be used to help girls who haven't earned their award yet. Then they will receive a bead they can wear with thier medallion.
7. Leaders are encouraged to use mid-week activities more regularly to help the girls complete experiences/projects.
8. A new worksheet will be coming out from church HQ that will detail the achievements of each girl. This will be maintained by the class secretaries and will include her personal progress achievements, when she gives talks, etc. This can then be passed along to the Bishop for her birthday/six month interview. This will be coming in January.
9. They are considering new manuals!!!
10. A digital version of PP is in the works and a PP app, so girls can electronically track their progress.
11. They have re-designed the torch logo and will be sending out new torch medallions for the YW.

In addition she emphasized:
1. Bishopbrics completing at least the 1st Virtue value experience. She has awarded gold ties to a few men at church HQ for completing the whole value. It goes without saying that YW leaders will do this value as well. She also encouraged wards to focus on the Virtue value with the boys as well.
2. We should 'circle the wagons' around the girls and help them get the PP. It is life-changing!
3. Counsel with your leaders to find solutions in your ward. She counseled with us a ton!
4. If you send as list to HQ, you will get a personally signed letter of congratulations to girls who have completed their PP. So cool!!!
5. Strive to always have the Spirit with you, so you can teach the girls how to feel the same thing.
6. Teach by example.
7. We were encouraged to wear our medallions and dress them up. Sis. Dalton had her medallion on a long chain and she wore it with another pretty necklace. It looked awesome...my head is spinning with new ideas!

Seriously, this was such a momentous event for me. I will always remember last night! I even got to meet Sis. Dalton in person! Have you seen this youtube video?



I have to say, at mile 10 of the 1/2 marathon, I was having a hard time. My legs and feet were killing me and I just said to myself "Don't cry Utah! Don't cry Stacy!" So I just had to give her a hug and tell her I thought of her today on my run. She was so sweet and told me to never wear your name or state on your shirt while in a race. I let her know I always use a fake name! LOL! (did you notice our 'fake name' shirts? Go Stacy and Skippy!)

Anyway, yesterday was awesome. I can't wait to get to work on what Sis. Dalton taught us. The YW of the church are SO lucky to have her guidance and I know she works closely with the First Presidency for the benefit of all the YW world-wide.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing changes!! That's really cool. I'm not even in YW and I'm excited to see what the new medallions and torch will look like. lol. Plus, I loved the video. Haha. Don't cry, Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This weekend was awesome!! And I thought the Primary was having changes...this is so exciting for the YW!!!!

    And I loved how she wore her necklace, I totally noticed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exciting!! I am excited to see these changes and look forward to hearing about your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie, your post has touched me deeply, and I'm not sure exactly why. I'm tearing up, and that doesn't happen easily. Thank you for radiating the Holy Spirit through who you are every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exciting. And can I just say how great it is to feel like some of the things that we are already thinking about are supported in this way. It makes me feel like we are really being led in our efforts.

    Having done little yet, I came away from YWIE determined to finish my PP again in 1020. I have already talked to Jeffrey about doing it with me. (I figured, he is in the bishopric and will have 3 daughters to walk through this -- how awesome if he actually knew the program and loved it too!) This just makes me more motivated. More to come on Thursday, I am sure...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What did they say about RS? Did you take notes for me?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh Melanie...that is good news. I'm pretty excited about the changes. Woo HOO!!! Yeah for being in Young Womens.

    ReplyDelete