Yesterday was really long. We got to the hospital by 12 for his 2pm surgery, but then it was delayed almost two hours. The surgeon finally came to see me at 6:30pm and we left at about 9pm. The procedure was successful, they used a band around the eye, lasers in the back of the eye, vitrious gel, and a gas bubble to fix the problem. The gas bubble has to be up against the back of his eye to keep the repair in place, which means he has to keep his head parallel to the floor for a WEEK!! The only time he can lift his head is to put in one of the 5 or 6 ointments/eyedrops he has to put in. Actually, I put them in which means I have to see his blood-red eye. EEEWWWW!
Travis is pretty uncomfortable and a bit grumpy about the whole thing. I hope he starts to feel better in the next few days. Hayden was a great baby for me at the hospital all day yesterday. Between the baby & Trav, I got about three hours of sleep last night, but hope to do better tonight. Some friends in the ward watched the kids yesterday and today while we went up for a follow-up appt. Today they found a cataract in the same eye, due to Trav not sleeping in the right position. So now we rented a special mattress pad that has a pillow with a hole in it (like a massage table) so he can sleep and keep his head in the right place. The kids have been pretty good, but keeping the house going and taking care of everyone is a tough job. The ward is bringing in meals for a week and that should really help. We've got another follow-up appt on Monday to check the cataract and by the end of next week will know if he can go back to work yet. The Dr thinks he'll be able to go back by the first week in March. We'll keep you posted!
What sad pictures! I feel so bad for Travis. Hopefully the time won't seem to go by so slowly and everything will heal quickly so he can sit upright again. We're praying for ya, Trav!
ReplyDeleteTrav, I love ya and hope you start feeling better. These pictures really made be feel bad for you. Grandma Hobbs is asking about you and she put you name in the I.F. temple yesterday and today. Love you man. Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteYou too Melanie.....I know this has to be hard for you.
Poor Travis! Good luck on recovery, we are keeping you guys in our prayers too. Just go get a cool eye patch and Brian thinks you'll feel better.
ReplyDeleteThat looks like it hurts. I just got braces today and i thought my teeth hurt. Ow. I hope you feel better.
ReplyDeleteTravis looks sort of like Rocky Balboa!! LOL Hope you have a speedy and successful recovery, we'll keep you in our prayers!
ReplyDeleteWe just found out about what happened, i really hope you heal quickly and we are praying for you too. Get better!!
ReplyDelete