9.25.2006

Applesauce


Me in a not-so-glamorous t-shirt. It was very hot making applesauce.


Grant and Courtney pick apples. Grant had to carry his alphabet book through the whole orchard.


Blake got pretty good at picking apples this way.


Pile of applesauce jars

Travis & Co puree apples, it's a two and a half person job!


Ta da! My first canning on my own. We headed out to a pick-your-own apple orchard a week ago with some friends and bought a bushel of apples. Then on Friday we had an applesauce afternoon and made it up into a ton of applesauce. We ended up with about ten pints of strawberry applesauce (thanks for the idea Krista, delicious!) and twenty jars of regular applesauce. I saved out some puree to make applebutter too. I'm going to try that recipe tonight. It was a bit of work, but I'm so proud of our applesauce! The kids love it too!

9 comments:

  1. Looks delicious.

    By the way, is that a Vote for Pedro shirt you're wearing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, Amy! Let's see more than your coat!!! I think we all need a better pic of you posting! Are you hiding from the mafia? hahaha We won't tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and the applesauce looks GREAT! I want to try the stawberry applesauce when I come out there to see you! Save some for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy. Applesauce is good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to learn how to can, its nice that you have friends there to show you how to do it. My girls will only eat applesauce if it is the strawberry or the cinnamon. Probably got a bit of a sweet tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love strawberry applesauce. Yummy!! I just canned some tomatoes last week. We only got 9 cans though. But it was fun and really easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. tammy and i think that you are amazing. wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you try the apple butter yet?? I can't wait until you get a batch done...it is sooo tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy -- Melanie IS wearing a "Vote for Pedro" shirt. She really likes Napolean Dynamite.

    ReplyDelete