7.25.2012

Barn Door!

I've got a bajillion projects that I've been working on and my latest one was a last-minute, two hour project that I LOVE! Our entry is full of doors: to the basement, the laundry room/pass-through to the garage, the coat closet, and the guest bath. They only way our entry looks neat and tidy is if all the doors are closed (and all the crap is off the floor). But, the laundry room door has never shut due to a spot where the house settled and the door always bumped against the top of the door frame. We tried to fix the door last night, but let's just say this went awry. I won't mention any names or any certain husbands that don't have a clue what they're doing...
So anyway, at about 1am last night, inspiration struck: rather than buy a new door for the laundry room, I could copy something I pinned about a DIY barn door. All it takes is galvanized pipe and a salvaged door that I already owned! After measuring carefully, I hit Lowe's at 6am for the hardware I needed.  Following these instructions: http://homeboundtheheartoflife.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/sliding-doors/ I had the hardware assembled and the door hung by 9am. I LOVE IT!
All I did was add casters to the bottom of the door and screw-in eye hooks to the top of the door. I used some hook things I picked up at a yard sale last fall to attach the door to the pipe. The weight of the door rests on the casters (which only roll one way) and the pipe just keeps it from tipping. As Travis says: "You can thank me for ruining the door, this looks much better anyway." Thanks babe!

View from the kitchen: closed.

View from the kitchen: open. Ugh. I hate you ugly linoleum! We didn't add wood to this section b/c of the washer/dryer. I'm hoping to do a cool diamond pattern vinyl stick-on tile someday.

View from the stairs: open. 

View from the stairs: closed. There is enough clearance behind the door to hang a poster or something on the wall that you'll see when the door is closed. Also, I have a glass knob to add to this side of the door for easy opening.
Total cost? $50 for the hardware. Those dang flanges were $8! And the door was $40 a few years ago at a salvage place in Baltimore. It used to hang out here:

I've since filled that blank spot up top with a this temple print. But now I've got a bigger empty spot to fill! I need another door!
One last pic: the view from the front door:

Love!


2 comments:

  1. Whaaaaaat?!?! This is AWESOME! Loooooove it!

    You could move the window up to where the door was...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love checking out your blog, way fun ideas! Amd your kids are adorable!

    ReplyDelete