7.15.2009

Camping!

Our summer weather has been amazing! We've had weeks of beautiful, sunny days that only hit the low 80's. Trav and I decided to take advantage of our good luck and go on a quick camping trip last weekend. The boys helped me pack and clean all day so we would be ready to leave as soon as Travis drove up.

Of course we had to make a stop at Walmart to buy a new cooler and some chips, but then we were on our way! We made the short drive to Prince William Forest and found an awesome spot to set up camp.
In honor of my cousin, Tonya, I'll summarize the trip in bullet format. the highlights included:

-Melanie starting the fire much to Travis' surprise.
-Melanie reminding Travis that she didn't got to four years of girls' camp for nothing.
-Roasting hot dogs over the fire.
-The boys refusing to eat said hot dogs.
-The boys eating said hot dogs when they learned the had to eat them to get s'mores.
-Firefly catching.
-S'mores for all.
-Bedtime for the boys at 10:30. They finally fell asleep around 11:30.
Our night was filled with
-snoring
-loud drunks on the other side of the campground
-spiders
-Hayden climbing in bed with us
-very little sleep

The morning was my favorite part of the trip. We revived our fire and toasted bagels in the amazing-sweet-spot-of-coals. After finding the amazing-sweet-spot-of-coals, we just had to try out our marshmallows again. So we had an impromptu s'mores party by 9am! Delicious! And as per Hobbs tradition, we packed up and were out of there by 10:00. We might have to do it again! Here's a few rather crappy pics of the trip that I haven't even bothered to edit. Hey, just be glad I'm blogging it!

No! We don't want to pose in front of the tent!! We hate pictures!

Travis tries to teach Blake how to roast his own hot dog. He said it was too hot.

Next morning: the perfect s'more from the sweet spot!! Tell me that isn't the most perfect s'more! It took 30 seconds in the sweet spot!


See the sweet spot? I know you're jealous!


Mmmmm morning s'mores.

Hayden loves camping!


Mmmm, morning s'mores.


Blake doing some exercises in the morning.
That's all folks!

4 comments:

  1. I love you're boys. too cute! specially with smores smeared all over their face! thanks for the shout out :)haha. we need to get our bums in gear and get out camping also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids and camping. A great combination. I had no idea how much effort it takes on the parents part until I tried it myself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to go camping with the Hobbs! Sounds like tons of fun. See you in just two more weeks, Madame President.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:40 AM

    Love your post. It took me back to when we just had 3 little boys. We had more energy then to go camping:) No, we'd someday like to try it again. Miss you guys. By the way, 3 teenage boys are fun too!

    ReplyDelete