8.27.2011

Emergency Preparedness

We were busily preparing for the start of the school year on Tuesday. Grant's Transfer IEP was schedule at 2pm at his elementary school. We were waiting in the front office when I thought the elevator was kind of loud. Then it got louder and everything started shaking. I looked out the window to see trees, bushes, and cars shaking too! Finally, my brain registered that this was actually an earthquake! It was so irrational a thought, that I just kind of stood there. Of course, I didn't do all the things I was taught while a kind living in the Earthquake Capitol of the world, just miles from the San Andreas Fault! ( No ditching under a desk or jumping into a doorway for me!) Quickly, the office staff ushered everyone outside where we debated about an earthquake (I guessed a 4 or 5) or an act of terrorism, or even ordnance being fired at the Marine Corps Base. We got confirmation that it was an earthquake (5.8) and they closed the school until a structural engineer could make sure it was safe.  The kids were fine and we headed home.

As I left the school, I realized that had the earthquake been any bigger, we would be in big trouble! Our outdated 72 hour kits had been ditched when we moved, along with all our extra water. I didn't have my phone with me (reception was spotty for hours anyway) and if the bridges over the freeway had been damaged, there was no way for me to get home or let Travis know where we were. Nevermind I didn't have any water in the car. At least I had some cash on me! Anyway, I figured we'd spend the next FHE putting together out kits. 

Then I got home and realized the hurricane I'd been ignoring in the weather reports was strengthening and heading in our direction by the weekend. I realized my thoughts about the 72 hour kits were indeed a prompting from Heavenly Father that I needed to take better care of my family and put kits together ASAP! Not that I think our house will be ripped to shreds by the hurricane, but I do think if the Lord gives you two chances in one week, you're pretty dumb not to take the hint! I've been saying for years that I would start buying things for our kits, but apparently I'm just not good at that! It was time to just dive in! 

We started by searching readyvirginia.gov and the FEMA website, and then found this great site from a lady in our church who made great 72 hour kits: Prepared LDS Family. Her site made everything so easy! I loved the food she chose for her kits (the kids will think it's a big treat), and how she split up her kits made so much sense. we basically followed her advice: each person gets a backpack filled with food, clothes, and basic emergency supplies/toiletries. If we are able, we'll also grab our bigger family kit with extras. We need 18 gallons of water for our family for three days (too much to carry). But we've packed as much as can fit into rolling cooler and have it standing by as well as a tent, sleeping bags, and extra blankets.

If we have to leave in a hurry, we'll just grab our backpacks and go. If we have more time and are able to leave in the car, we'll grab everything else and still be able to leave within a few minutes without spending hours running around the house gathering stuff or forgetting important things. I even made a "grab & go" list with everything we need to grab in an emergency if we have to leave: keys, external hard drive with our data backed up and scans of important documents), camera, kits, etc.

$700 later ($400 in supplies, $300 in cash for kits), here is what we have:


Backpacks: With back-to-school season in full swing, these were pretty cheap. The big ones were $18 and the kid ones were $14. The big ones have extra straps, etc so we can strap jackets on or extra backpacks that the kids can't carry. Speaking of, only Blake & Grant can carry their bags. As parents of young children, this is just how it goes. We figure if we're not leaving by car, we're in trouble! I loved the kids' bags because they came with a lunch bag that I packed their toiletries and emergency supplies in to keep them organized. I also loved the little see-through pocket that came with a pencil, eraser, ruler, and notepad.

Here is Hayden's bag with the lunch bag detached. All bags have a dust mask in the side pocket (although I got the wrong kind and will have to switch it out later).


In the zip: paper, pencil, crayons, ruler, comfort toy, and suckers.


Once change of clothing. Everything is long sleeved. That way we're prepared for any time of year as we can cut off the sleeves/pants to make them cooler in summer. Coats are on the grab list if it's winter.


Everything inside the main backpack.


$50 cash in smaller bills. Rather than have all the cash in one pack, it's smarter to spread it out over all the bags. That way, if one gets lost, you'll still have cash. It's also recommended that you have at least $1000 in your emergency stash (we're going to have to work on that!). In many emergencies, electricity is out, so atm's and credit card machines won't be working. You'll want enough cash to pay for a hotel if you have to evacuate and buy supplies in case you run out.


I basically used Prepared LDS Family's menu word for word. For each day, we have:

1 vitamin
1 twin pack of poptarts
1 applesauce cup
1 box raisins
2 power bars
2 granola bars
1 can of spaghettio's, canned mac & cheese, or chili
2 fruit snacks
2 flavor sticks for water

The menu is roughly 2000 calories, more than is required for each child, but we figure if it's too much, that's not a bad thing! I also packed 1 sleeve of saltines in each pack and I carry a small jar of peanut butter for extra protein.



The lunch kit includes all toiletries and emergency supplies:
shampoo
body wash
wet wipes
poncho
emergency blanket
flashlight
extra batteries (packaged separately and dated)
lip balm
hand warmers
hand sanitizer
gum
washcloth
toothbrush
toothpaste
whistle
mini first aid kit

My backpack includes these extras:

Paperwork (copies of SS card, marriage license, birth certificates, insurance information, and important phone numbers)

Medicines (for kids and grown-ups, also dated and marked with dosages)


Travis' backpack has these additional supplies:


bug spray
sun screen
emergency radio (solar powered & hand crank, also can charge cell phones and has a flashlight, make sure it's tuned to the local weather band)
can opener
water purification tablets (since we can't carry enough water for us all)

We also included (at the top of each kit), a list of what's in the kit for easy reference when we check & update them every 6 months.

2 comments:

  1. Austin and I need to get this done. Thanks for the resources. It is on my to-do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm coming to YOUR house in an emergency! You are so organized and prepared! What an awesome accomplishment for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete