4.11.2010

We're home!

Checking out of the hospital always takes longer than you think it will. This time was no exception. But, the two days in recovery were wonderful and I really wasn't in any hurry to leave! Travis arranged for a sitter for Hayden and we hoped to be home by 4 to get the kids off the bus. We spent the morning relaxing and planned on leaving after lunch. The doctors had already been by to sign off on my and the baby's health, so we were just a couple more signatures away from heading home. By the way, the nursery said Cosette looked awesome! She was down to 8lbs 5oz and passed all her tests. It was nice not to wait around for a circumcision! hehe

Anyway, Travis packed up the room while I met with my nurse and we called the nursery to have them sign off around 2pm. Five minutes later, we got a call back. There was an emergency birth and the no one could come help us. Ugh, we should have known! An hour later, we called Regan to have her meet the bus. I fed the baby one more time, but she was still hungry. When the nurse finally was able to come at 3:30, Cosette was really fussy. Thankfully, the nurse came to the rescue with a teeny bottle of formula and by 4pm we finally left! I was thrilled to finally walk out of the hospital WITH a baby! We headed straight to Target to fill my prescriptions because after our long wait, I was due for some pain meds and couldn't wait. And because I love Target. I'll just admit it. But, we did get a great deal. My 2 medications only cost 62 cents (the ONLY perk of our new insurance is cheap generics) and we got $20 in Target gift cards after using a couple coupons. See Cosette? Mommy knows how to shop!

Anyway, there's all the tedious details of our coming home! The last two days have been pretty good. We've figured out that although she's a great feeder, I just don't have enough milk yet for our little Cosette. I've been pumping and we've supplemented with formula to keep our little girl happy. I guess when you're a giant, you need lots to eat! Once we can get her full, she's perfectly happy and usually has a long stretch of sleep in the evenings. The boys have kept busy playing and think the baby is pretty cool.

Hayden loves to admire the baby. He's constantly petting her head, patting her tummy, and saying how cute she is. He saw me pumping the other day and we let him know I was making milk from the baby. When it came to the next feeding time, he said "Mom, get some milk from your pumper for the baby!"

Blake is the hilarious one. He's already figured out how to manipulate the system. We were cleaning the living room and he let us know he was the babysitter. Conveniently, being the babysitter means you get to stand in front of the pack-n-play to watch the baby. He's also had a hard time with Cosette's name. We actually had chosen Colette and switched it at the last minute. Blake really liked Colette. So he told Travis yesterday that we could just call her "Cool-zette" because "some people wanted an 'l' and some people wanted an 's', so this way everyone gets what they want".

Grant has taken everything in stride and mostly seems to go around like Cosette isn't here. But he's a bit protective. When we set up the pack-n-play, within minutes he had a sign stating the rules: "no big kids allowed". He wanted everyone to stay out of the crib. LOL!

Anyway, things are going well. If we could get Cosette to sleep a bit less in the evening and a bit more in the night, things would be perfect! Otherwise, it's just a blast dressing her up, cuddling her, and enjoying the 'new' stage. We've also had a lot of fun making video calls to the grandparents. It's a blast to have them see her squirming and squealing. Thank goodness for technology! Here's a ton of pics from bringing her home. Enjoy!


What a sweet outfit! Thanks Grandma Welsh!






See you later birthing center!


No recently pregnant lady should let this picture be taken! But I was just so excited to walk out the doors with a baby this time!





No big kids allowed!



In all her pink glory!

7 comments:

  1. She is awesome...we didn't have an internet connection in IF yesterday so we definitely need to connect today sometime. Loved the story about Blake and her name. We wish we could be there for the blessing, but we'll try hard for the baptism this year instead. The "milk pump" story is the greatest and she is so sweet looking. We love our giant! She is so dang cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO. CUTE. Love the coming home outfit, and the stories about the boys. Adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I understand the confusion because Blake definitely told everyone at school that he had a baby sister and her name was Colette!

    Glad that everyone is getting used to her and taking their turns making sure everything is just right from the milk to not big kids in the pack n play!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you guys! She is such a doll and looks so healthy and cute. How fun to have a girl after three boys! What a treat. She's a lucky girl to have three big brothers who love her. By the way, I LOVE the name Cosette. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's so sweet and so adorable! Love the coming home outfit. I wanna pinch her little cheeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy to hear about Cosette's safe arrival! Congratulations on finally getting a pink hospital bracelet! (P.S. Your Christmas card JUST made it to my house! Thanks for thinking of us!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melanie and Travis, Congratulations! This is the first time I've looked at your blog to see little Cosette. She is so cute and chubby cheeked!

    I found this adorable little outfit and will send it on Monday, April 26th. We love you all. Have fun with your daughter :-). Celestine

    ReplyDelete