9.19.2006

Don't Mess With Me, I'm Pregnant!


So I had a rather unpleasant experience at the local library this morning. As I left in tears, absolutely humiliated, I thought of all the moms that have been treated like bad moms just because they are taking the time to teach their children. Oh no mean library lady...you have not had the best of me!! I got home and typed up this scathing letter which I hand-delivered to the librarian in question and the manager of the library. Then I emailed it to the director of the county library system and the vice chair over the City of Manassas. Like I said Library Lady: Don't mess with me!!!

Here's a link to my letter, I hope you agree with me!! If you don't, I promise I won't send a nasty email to you or your superiors. haha

Click here to read my letter

11 comments:

  1. I give Melanie my full support. I kind of have to though. Otherwise, she'll beat me up.

    I'm really proud of Melanie for standing up for herself against the mean librarian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is good that you copied the letter to all the higher ups! Way to go Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my favorite part are the last two paragraphs. Hahaha. Good letter, man. If we learned anything growing up with mom, it's that when someone makes you mad, write a letter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Way to stick up for your kids and not permit another person's intollerance to get you down.

    2. As a former children's librarian I've seen my fair share of unruly behavior. What you described in no way was what your average librarian would consider bad behavior. I, and most other librarians, applaud young mothers who came in hoping to develop an appreciation for books.

    We'd much rather see young children learning from their parents how pleasurable a library can be (even if that means tears and a bit of crying) than see kids running around yanking shelves off the walls (you'd be suprised how truly un-attentive some parents are.)

    3. Remind me never to get on your bad side!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Melanie! It's nice to know someone put those mean librarians in their place!

    Here is a funny story about the library that Ted had. My friend and I were having a garage sale, and trying to watch the kids at the same time. Ted decided to be helpful and took two of the kids to the library, Juliette and Brooke.

    As Ted was dropping off some books, Brook suddenly gave an evil laugh and took off running around the library counter, i mean literally, BEHIND the counter and into a closet and shut the door. Juliette, our little mother, went behind the counter to get Brooke, and the librarian gave both girls a talking to.

    I think Grant was doing what my kids and every other kid does at the library from time to time. Hey at least he didn't run behind the librarian counter! :) That librarian needs to get a grip, very rude. I totally support you writing that letter..maybe I should write one too :).

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  6. So did you hear anything back from them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great letter. You go get em girl. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guesss I was thinking this morning that the only thing different I would have done in this letter is include her name so her boss knows exactly who it was.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, the boss did know her name and called me a couple days ago. She apologized profusely and explained that the children's librarians were busy at the time and the lady I dealt with was an adult librarian. She said they would do system-wide training for adult librarians to help them deal families and make them feel comfortable.

    She also offered to set up a tour of the kids section with a children's librarian and suggested the best days to come and best activities for kids. I'm so glad I wrote that letter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's good news.......it paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for standing up for yourself and mothers everywhere!!! Your response totally makes up for mine when it happened to me...I just cried and stayed home and never went back. I hope that lady feels like crap!!! They have no idea what it is like to be treated like that!!!

    ReplyDelete